Sunday, November 2, 2008

JARS OF THANKSGIVING


I just love this time of year. The weather is cooler and the holiday season is just beginning (my favorite). Keeping Thanksgiving in mind I wanted to do a positive project with the boys this month. So I decided to do the Jars of Thanksgiving. Every evening before bed we will write on a slip of paper one thing we were thankful for that day and slip it into our jars. I want us to stay focused on the positive things in our life. Sometimes it is so easy for think about the negative side of things when the positive always out weighs the negative. Since my boys will not be home for Thanksgiving as they will be spending it with their father Jeff and his family in Alabama this year this is how it is going to work. During the month of November we will put our slips of paper into our jars every night and on Sunday evenings we will each read what we were thankful for that week. I will keep each slip of paper all month and at the end of the month make a poster of all the things we gave thanks to our Heavenly Father for and so we can see the many wonderful things we do have each and everyday in our lives that sometimes we forget and take for granted on most occasions. I hope Everyone has a wonderful Holiday season and I will keep you posted on how this is going. I am very anxious to see all the wonderful and interesting things the boys can come up with to be thankful for.

4 comments:

Janet said...

That's a great idea!
We're starting a family mailbox that I hope works to help the kids leave nice little notes for each other. They can be such fighters sometimes, especially the girls!!!

Annetta said...

Jacob and Jared are the same way. I found something like your mailbox online last year but never started it. It was a good deads poster and the kids were to write something nice that they saw one of us do that day. I have the print out for it somewhere inthe house.

Trying to Stay Calm! said...

I ♥ that idea! Thanks for sharing :) ♥ Hugs!

Rob, Brooke and Caleb said...

I LOVE this idea! You just gave me a great idea for a family home evening lesson; thanks!!